The Silicon Gods

Taboos in worshipping the silicon gods and the orthodox rites & rituals that would make Silicon Gods happy so that they bless our team for coming up with timely deliverables and quality bytes of machine code ...

Thursday, June 23, 2005

A poor creature called manager

What would you do when you get a very complex bug on the day of your production release? This was one of the questions I faced in my Amazon interview and I never even imagined in my wildest dream (well… I don’t waste my dreams thinking about work ;)), that I might have to fact the same situation … And that too in the very first project.(Well... Not really production release but code freeze)

Since I was not involved in the technical and design part, all I could do is get status updates, watch developers running around here and there and pray for some miracle to happen. In the remaining time, I think of the good old days when I was a developer and when my manager was getting status updates, watching me running here and there …

I know that theoretically I should have added buffer for all such unwanted situations but practically it just doesn’t work that way ( What … Four days for an exit button ???) Atleast as of now I am having plans for a relaxed schedule for the next release and am also pretty sure it’s not going to work that way. Well… Program management seemed easy when I read the mythical man days and joel on software !!

Form the next release, I am planning to get hands on and take part in development also. In this release, the only technical thing I did was to write some perl scripts for an intranet page … Should go some steps deeper …

This release has increased my BP and worsened my neck pain. Apart from that, I have learnt a lot about Amazon internals, but it was not worth for the pain. Does anyone has suggestion how to keep cool when your boss is yelling at you?

2 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would one of the worst mistake you would do i.e. getting into development while being a manager. Have you ever been into a situation where as a developer you manager wants to take a pie of development process.... I have been into such a situation and assure you that its crazy... and the end result will be a spoiled up relation between you and your developers.... The best thing would be reduce any communication gap between you and your developers... Be assertive in telling them what are the costs involved of such a serious bug at the code freeze time (the business impact) and let them know that you can take hard steps next time this happens... but at the same time be friendly and understand what went wrong... so that you can make schedules next time with some buffer for such casualities... best luck...

Software Management would have beene easy if there had been no human part :-)

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Sujayath said...

Ketan,

I get your point. When I said getting hands on, I meant developing some things outside of the product, which will not interfere with the product development. Example could be a developer sandbox for our product.

Sujayath

 

Post a Comment

<< Home