The Silicon Gods

Taboos in worshipping the silicon gods and the orthodox rites & rituals that would make Silicon Gods happy so that they bless our team for coming up with timely deliverables and quality bytes of machine code ...

Monday, May 23, 2005

Phone is a Phone is a Phone

Mobile phone is seen as the most attractive platform for the next generation utilities. Camera, FM radio, Movie players, Maps, Games, Dating utilities, Personal diary and what not … Mobiles are becoming more and more sophisticated and don’t be surprised if you see coaching classes for using mobile ( Nokia certified coaching centers !!)

Its not just the number of utilities but also the quality of them. Just now we have started with cameras and there is a long path till it replaces digital cameras and camcorders and offering the same quality they can offer. Mobile games is a very attractive field today and still there is a long path till it replaces XBOX and Sony play stations.

But between these hi-tech advancements, there are poor guys like me who want to use the phone just for speaking. I never play games in my phone and I have never used the personal diary or calculator in my mobile. I am not against mobiles having all the utilities in it. Infact I support mobile phone becoming all-in-one device. My point is there are users who want a no-frills mobile, not necessarily cheap mobiles. I am talking about no-frill high quality phones with very good battery, signal booters etc. I want to pay money for a high-quality phone and not necessarily for the extra utilities I get. And to add more salt, the extra utilities also make the UI very complex and most of the time these utilities are like JDK installed in my Mom’s computer.

Just now read that Vodafone has initiated this by coming up with a no-frills model. Way to Go!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home