The Silicon Gods

Taboos in worshipping the silicon gods and the orthodox rites & rituals that would make Silicon Gods happy so that they bless our team for coming up with timely deliverables and quality bytes of machine code ...

Monday, April 18, 2005

The Coffee Breaks and Late Nights ...

Here, at Amazon, I usually come to Office by 9:45 AM and leave for home at 6:30 PM. In the initial days, when I didn't have much work, I followed this schedule and after practicing it for a week, I like this and plan to continue this. Well, at iNautix, my previous workplace, I come at 10 AM and sit in office usually till 8:30 PM. But I feel more productive now than before. Why? Well ... At iNautix I usually spend an hour for coffee breaks and another hour for Lunch (sometimes another half-an-hour for snacks) ... As you techies know, once we get out of our programming loop and come back, we need some set-up time to get into that mode (or mood !!) again. At Amazon, I get coffee to my desk and I don't spend more than 15 minutes on Lunch.

Thats why may be I feel more productive. Now the issue is am I really more productive or am I just feeling like that. Of course, sitting in office continuously without coffee breaks makes you feel productive and it seems very reasonable to spend some time browsing and checking mails (and of course answering them)... But at iNautix, I was always with a guilty feeling that I waste too much time on breaks and so I limit my browsing time ...

Now again, here as a manager, I am not in any programming loop and so we can discount the setup time ... And the reason for my staying late at iNautix is that the calm evenings wakes up my brain and gets it going in a race-horse pace ( Now you get more examples like this as Amazon is near race course and we have a good view of the course from the office) ... Here at Amazon, even the mornings are calm and there's no incentive for me to stay late ...

So atleast let me assume that I am more productive here even by leaving at 6:30 PM ... Ooph! Now my conscience won't prick ... Earlier it was complaining that I leave early just not to miss the BTM evenings with a lot of Beautiful girls ...

2 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Kani said...

Hey,

That was'nt a nice explaination about Inautix. Im sure Inautix does not have any mandatory rule forcing its employees to have 2 hours of coffee break and an hour lunch break. Like any other company inautix is also striving to make its employees more productive. Maybe you hav'nt found a "driving force" [that made u spend extensive hours non-productive] at Amazon ;).

- Kani

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Sujayath said...

Thats right Kani ...

I was just explaining my lifetsyle at iNautix ... iNautix doesn't endorse sitting late ... My manager actually kept an eye on me to see that I leave early but mostly I escape him ...

Well... the post was supposed to be against the night birds and to advocate for leaving early ... somoehow it didn't come that way ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home